Predators & Small Game
Test Your Soil in 8 Easy Steps
The soil sampling process itself is simple. To collect samples, follow these steps:
1. Take your samples in the fall.
2. Fill out the sheet that comes with the kit.
3. Take a sample of the soil at plow depth, or at least six inches. You want to take at least five samples of soil for each five acres of field.
4. Mix the five samples together and let them dry before sending them.
5. Place one cup of dry soil in the provided container or a one-pint plastic bag.
6. Label the bag with your name and number that references the field you took the sample from.
7. Record the sample location on an aerial photo or sketch of the farm, and keep for your reference.
8. Make sure the soil information sheet is placed in a separate first-class envelope attached to the sample. You should ship the sample per instructions from your county agent.