The numbers prove it. Realtree fans north, south, east and west live and breathe deer hunting. These guys do, too. Hansen’s from Michigan, Brantley’s from Kentucky, and chances are their version of hunting whitetails is a lot like yours.
Tyler Jordan: Early Season Update from Team Realtree
The 2012 hunting season has already kicked off in a big way. Several members of the Team Realtree crew have already had successful hunts for whitetails and elk. Here's the rundown of September highlights so far:
- Realtree’s David Blanton, Phillip Culpepper and Kristy Barnes took a trip to 7J Outfitters in Wyoming on a bowhunt for whitetails. Although David and Kristy didn’t fill their tags, Bad Boy Buggies’ Philip Jhante shot a nice buck on the last afternoon of the hunt over a waterhole. Culpepper got the hunt on film.
- Nick Mundt was also in Wyoming on an elk hunt. He shot a nice 300-plus-class bull elk with cameraman Stephen McNelly. That hunt will air on a future episode of Realtree Roadrips.
- Michael Waddell joined Nick Mundt in North Dakota for an early season whitetail hunt the first week of September, and shot a nice 8-pointer.
- Travis “T-Bone” Turner is also off to a good start. He hunted in Kentucky and took a nice buck in velvet -- his first-ever velvet buck. Kentucky's opener was September 1, and it was timed with the remnants of Hurricane Issac parked right on top of them, not to mention a full moon. Plenty of good bucks were on trail camera, but there was very little daylight movement, according to T-Bone. But they pulled one out of the hat on the last evening, as a velvet 9-pointer stepped out 10 minutes before last light, and T-Bone made the shot.
- From there, it was back to the elk woods as Realtree’s Brad Harris and Art Tucker headed to Limestone Outfitters in New Mexico on September 10-16. Art took a nice bull with his bow over a water hole on the last evening hunt. Brad came close but couldn’t quite close the deal.
- David Blanton shot a nice 160-class buck on the last morning of his hunt in Montana (shown above).
- I'm on my first trip of the season as you read this, hunting whitetails in Nebraska with my dad and Brad Harris.
- David will wrap things up this month with one final trip to Colorado to chase elk.
It's been a busy month, and the Team Realtree cameras will be in the woods right up until the last day. But I hope to bring you more good news from the road. Check out the highlights from some of these early season hunts on the newest episode of Realtree's From the Field on Realtree.tv.
Shoot straight and God bless. – TJ