Wild turkey barley soup extends the hunt.
I cooked this hot meal with a fall turkey breast this season. You'll need:
- 2 teaspoons of cooking oil
- 1 cup of chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup of cubed wild turkey breast
- 32 ounces of chicken broth (or reserved wild turkey broth)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of barley
- 1 cup of frozen corn (or other vegetables)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
Adjust all amounts as it suits you. I often cube wild turkey breast, then place it on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and gently tenderize it with a meat hammer. Add oil to a medium heat cooking pot. Brown onions and turkey. Add broth. Stir. Bring to a boil on higher heat, then return to medium, stirring as needed. Cook 25-30 minutes. Add barley and corn, salt, both peppers, stir then heat another half hour. Serve with baked bread or crackers.
Steve Hickoff is Realtree's Turkey Hunting Editor.