There's No Place Like Home!

By Online Hunting Journal #14

Entry Title: Two Diamonds In Kansas
By Marc Womack Compiled By Nino Bosaz

Hunter's Names: Marc Womack, Team Realtree Cameraman with hunter Terry Rohm of Wellington/Tinks, Brian Kaska Team Realtree 2002 Video Sweepstakes winner with cameraman Nick Mundt, Audrey Boos (co-owner of Diamond Springs Ranch)

Game Hunting: Mid-western Whitetail

Where Hunting: Diamond Springs Ranch in Kansas. Owner and operator Bob Boos. For information online go to The ranch is located in the northeast, in Atchison, Kansas.

Hunting Method: Rifle hunting.

Phase of Season: The very last push of the rut bordering on the post rut. Some of the lesser bucks were still chasing does. Most of the mature bucks were not coming out until dark and they seemed to be going in right at daylight. So there wasn’t really much happening during the middle parts of our days on stand. The last 30 minutes and the first 30 minutes on stand we’d see the young bucks doing a little chasing, but the bigger, more mature deer were already into their feeding patterns.Dates Hunted: December 4th through the 8th.Wind Direction & Weather Conditions: Wind was variable. Mostly low to no wind. High temps reached into the low 40s, and the lows dipped down to the teens. Stand Locations: We were mostly stand hunting, trying to catch deer coming and going from food sources. Early morning and late evening were the key times to be on stand. Stands were mostly set on standing soybean fields and cut corn/soybean fields.

Game Seen & Observations:

Terry Rohm’s Buck:
The first morning we hunted a stand that was in pretty thick cover. We saw just a couple of young bucks and does. Other than that, it was a pretty unproductive morning.

The first afternoon, we hunted a field that fellow hunter Jay Gregory killed a 187-inch buck out of just 2 weeks prior while bowhunting. We did some good bucks on the opposite side of the field. They were out some 500 to 600 yards. We did get those bucks on video right at dark, but no shots were taken.

The next morning, we hunted another very thick area, but didn’t see very much to write home about. But that afternoon we went back to the previous evening’s stand site. The wind was different so we hunted the field from a better stand location. Ended up, we pushed right into where we’d seen and videoed the bucks the night before. Right at dark, about a 150-class buck came out. Prior to him showing, we had does all around our stand. Some within four or five steps! They were right on top of us.

It didn’t take long for Terry to make his decision to shoot. It was a 150-class, kind of non-typical with four points on the left side of its rack and five or six points on the right. It was a pretty nice deer. Terry made a great 100-yard shot with his .20-06. The deer came through the field going right to left from the corner of the field where we saw the deer this same buck the night before. The shot was broadside. We figured, once again, that this buck was definitely not rutting. He never would have been seen two nights in a row at the same location. This buck was definitely into his late-season feeding patterns already. At the time Terry shot, we had some 25 or 30 other deer already in the field feeding on the standing bean. We figured we only had about 10 minutes of shooting light left.

Ron Kaska’s Hunt:
Sweepstakes winner Ron Kaska passed up a really nice buck on the first day with his cameraman Nick Mundt. They were hunting out of the same stand David Blanton killed a nice buck out of during one of last year’s hunts. The stand is known as the Ski Slope Stand, because it had a gas line right behind it that made it look like the perfect ski slope. The deer Kaska passed was a good eight-point that would probably score in the high 120s to low 130s. It was only the first afternoon of hunting, so the duo decided to pass. They did get good footage of the buck, though. But the two were willing to hold off and wait for a bigger buck.The rest of the week, the hunting pair saw two more good bucks. One, was right at daylight in a field where they were in the process of setting a stand. They set it, and hunted the stand for two more days but never did see that same buck again.

Meanwhile, ranch owner Bob Boos kept seeing a nice deer right out behind their house in a big soybean field. The buck was just 600 yards from where we were staying. On the last morning, Kaska decided to hunt a ground blind for the “backyard’ buck. This was a last-chance effort for Kaska and Mundt to settle the score. And sure enough, the deer came out at about 170 yards. Kaska had a shot, took it, but it was a marginal hit. The buck was never found. It was one of those shots that hits right above the lungs and right below the spine. No man’s land on a deer. Kaska was shooting a .270 with a really hot load. Chances are that the bullet did very little damage. That was Brian’s hunt in a nutshell. He passed one early on, saw plenty of does, caught a glimpse of another shooter, and finally shot one on the last day, but never recovered the deer.

Audrey Boos’ Hunt:
After Terry Rhom shot his deer on the second afternoon, I decided to video Audrey Boos and her daughter Jennifer. Audrey and Jennifer were alternating hunts— It just worked out that way, in the morning, Audrey would have something to do work-wise in the mornings, and Jennifer was busy in the afternoons. So on we went.

On the fourth morning, hunting with Jennifer, some deer ran out into our field. Two nice bucks, a little buck and a bunch of does came crashing through. We figured that they were pushed to us from an adjoining property. The hunting pressure was at full throttle. She got a shot at one of the really nice bucks. We figured it to be in the 130s for sure. The shot was about 150 yards. She missed him clean. The buck then went into this block of timber that was surrounded by a road, a house and a big wide-open field that had no food in it. Chances were that the buck was going to come back into the soybean where she missed him the first time. So Audrey decided to go hunt that same area in the afternoon.

Audrey isn’t much for heights so we built a makeshift ground blind almost right underneath Jennifer’s stand. On that evening, two does came out within 15 yards of our position. They caught a little bit of our scent but not enough to blow them out of the field. Right behind these does was the buck. When we first spotted him, he was at about 60 yards away. We couldn’t move to get situated for a shot because the does were still right on top of us. By the time we could move and get a shot, the buck was at about 75 yards.

Sure enough, the buck was in the low 130s and it was no doubt the same buck Jennifer missed earlier on in the day. A big, mature eight-pointer. I think it was a 3 Ω-year-old deer. Audrey busted him broadside at about 80 to 85 yards. She double-lunged the buck and it ran only a short distance and piled up. She made a perfect shot, and it all made for a great video kill. She was pumped and so was I! We left Diamond Springs with two great kills in the can, had plenty of late-season action, and thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company.

For more information on Diamond Springs Ranch, click here.